Learn how civic involvement makes a difference as state officials address Nebraska homeschoolers!
February 13, 2019 — SAVE THE DATE, 8:00AM – 11:00AM
See the full Legislative Day Agenda below.
This is the day to bring your children to the state capitol and have them learn about the legislative process. Features of the day include:
- Take a tour of the Capitol
- How to Interact with your senator – Dave Lostroh, NCHEA
- Visit your senator
- Observe the Legislature in session in the Norris Chamber
- Hear Lt. Governor Mike Foley and Chief Deputy Attorney General Dave Bydalek discuss issues
- Hear Deputy Treasurer Tyson Larson and AG Director of Communications Suzanne Gage
- Learn about the Judicial Branch from Nebraska Supreme Court Justice Jonathan Papik
- Listen to Senators talk to you about important bills and issues
- Hear and meet HSLDA attorney for Nebraska, Dan Beasley
- Meet other government officials
- Hear NCHEA discussion of legislative issues
- Attend Legislative hearings
This event is free and open to all homeschool families in Nebraska.
We encourage families to contact their Senator’s office before Legislative Day to set up their own appointments. In order to find your Senator:
- Enter your street address, city, state, and zip code at: https://nebraskalegislature.gov/senators/senator_find.php. Your District Number and Senator (with photo) will be shown, then press “Web Page” under the photo to go to your Senator’s web page. There you will find contact information along with much more.
- Appointments with your Senator may be scheduled for any time of day, however, the Senator will probably not accept an appointment while the Legislature is in session. Sessions usually run from 9:00AM to 12:00PM. Senators may be called out of the Legislature for a few minutes in order to talk with constituents; doing so requires filling out a short form at the Sergeants-of-Arms desk near the Norris Legislative Chamber door.
- Consider requesting an appointment with your senator early, between 8:00AM and 8:30AM, during the break in the Agenda from 9:30 – 10:00AM, or in the afternoon. If your senator is not available, office staff can be just as good as speaking with the senator.
- Click HERE for a map of the Nebraska Capitol building.
- Read about Lawmaking in Nebraska ahead of time.
LEGISLATIVE DAY AGENDA
8:00AM – 11:00AM Registration
When you arrive, please register at the NCHEA table by the Warner Chamber (just east of the Rotunda) on the main floor. Families may bring their own home baked cookies or other treats for their Senator and his/her staff. Thank you notes by you and/or your children would also be appreciated by your Senator.
During the 2017 NCHEA Legislative Day, we provided each senator with a homeschool information packet. We will be distributing packets to the 13 new senators this year since the other senators already have the information. The contents included in each senator’s packet is linked immediately below so that all families can review and articulate what is in the packet by studying the information ahead of time.
- Letter from the NCHEA President
- A Historical Perspective on Home Education and Parental Rights in Nebraska, NCHEA
- Home Schooling Achievement, HSLDA by Brian D. Ray, PhD., National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI), © 2001 by HSLDA https://nche.hslda.org/docs/study/comp2001/HomeSchoolAchievement.pdf
- Homeschooling Grows Up, HSLDA by Brian D. Ray, PhD., National Home Education Research Institute, © 2003 by Brian D. Ray, https://www.hslda.org/research/ray2003/HomeschoolingGrowsUp.pdf
- Homeschool Progress Report 2009, HSLDA by Brian D. Ray, PhD., National Home Education Research Institute, © 2009 by HSLDA and Brian D. Ray, https://www.hslda.org/docs/study/ray2009/2009_Ray_StudyFINAL.pdf
- Research Facts on Homeschooling, 2013, by Brian D. Ray, PhD., NHERI
The 13 new senators are as follows:
Senator Julie Slama, District 1
Senator Machaela Cavanaugh, District 6
Senator Megan Hunt, District 8
Senator Wendy DeBoer, District 10
Senator Steve Lathrop, District 12
Senator John Arch, District 14
Senator Ben Hansen, District 16
Senator Mike Moser, District 22
Senator Myron Dorn, District 30
Senator Tom Brandt, District 32
Senator Dave Murman, District 38
Senator Tim Gragert, District 40
Senator Andrew La Grone, District 49
If you would like to deliver the packet to your new senator’s office, please pick it up when registering at the NCHEA table by the Warner Chamber door.
See Your Senator
Consider requesting an appointment with your senator early, between 8:00AM and 8:30AM, during the break in the Agenda from 9:30 – 10:00AM, or in the afternoon. If your senator is not available, office staff can be just as good as speaking with the senator.
Warner Chamber Presentations:
8:15 – 09:10AM Warner Chamber
8:15 – 8:30AM “How to Interact With Your Senator” Dave Lostroh, NCHEA
8:30 – 8:40AM Dir. of Communications – Attorney General: Suzanne Gage [Executive Branch]
8:40 – 9:00AM Dan Beasley, HSLDA Staff Attorney for Nebraska
9:00 – 9:10AM Legislative Issues/ How a bill becomes Law Q&A
9:10 – 09:30AM Warner Chamber – Executive Branch (Continued)
9:10 – 9:20AM Chief Deputy Attorney General Dave Bydalek
9:20 – 9:30AM Deputy Treasurer Tyson Larson
9:30 – 10:00AM Break from Warner Chamber Programs, suggested actions on your own.
- Watch Senate Floor Debate in the Norris Chamber balcony.
- Visit Senator’s office or call Senator out of Legislative session.
- Tour Capitol on your own (the outdoor Observation Deck and Memorial Chamber are located on the top floor and are not a part of the guided, hourly tour.)
10:00AM – 11:00AM Warner Chamber: Three Branches of Government
Executive Branch (Continued)
10:00 – 10:15AM Lt. Governor Mike Foley
10:15 – 10:30AM Justice Jonathan Papik, Nebraska Supreme Court
10:30 – 10:35AM Senator Robert Hilkemann – District 4, Omaha
10:35 – 10:40AM Senator Mark Kolterman – District 24, Seward
10:40 – 10:45AM Senator John Arch – District 14, La Vista
10:45 – 10:50AM Senator Steve Erdman – District 47, Bayard
10:50 – 10:55AM Senator Mike Groene – District 42, North Platte
10:55 – 11:00AM Senator Dave Murman – District 38, Glenvil
12:00PM – End of NCHEA Legislative Day Program
12:00 – 5:00PM Available Capitol/Lincoln Activities
- Attend a Capitol building guided tour on the hour: 1:00PM, 2:00PM, 3:00PM, 4:00PM (starts by the North door, Main floor).
- Attend a Senate Committee Hearing:
Check the Legislative Day hearing schedule at https://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/calendar/hearings.php?day=2019-02-13. The various hearings are displayed by committee with start time, hearing room, and bills to be heard. Be sure to re-check a few days prior to the NCHEA Legislative Day.
- Visit your Senator or speak to Senator’s office staff if Senator is not available.
- Visit the University of Nebraska State Museum (Morrill Hall), 645 N 14th St, Lincoln, NE
Museum Hours: 9:30 AM-4:30 PM
Museum Information: (402) 472-2642;
There is an admission charge, see https://www.museum.unl.edu/museum_info/index.html
- Visit the Nebraska History Museum,131 Centennial Mall North, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Admission is free, but a $2 donation is appreciated.
Hours: 9:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.